Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Walking on Newspaper lines (short story)

I read in todays newspaper that yesterday it had rained heavily in my city, Delhi; thats an unxepected shower to come at the outset of the hot Indian summer, and had filled most of the pebbled roads, causing heavy traffic jams. I didnt knew it -- that it rained yesterday. I didnt notice it. Though the paper read so, I doubted it; and scrampered towards the window, opposite to the wall against which my study table rests.

As I slid aside the cotton green window drapes of my rectangular room, I could only see the bright yellow sunlight on the green tree tops; though, the ground near brown tree trunks were damp, dark, possibly from yesterdays rain. Maybe it rained yesterday! It was unquestionable that its not todays paper, as I had lifted it just minutes ago from the bottom of my room door.

I have been confined to my room for past two days. The lights and the air too. And the only thing that crossed the concrete 3D envelope of my room is the newspaper, which, the newspaper guy slid under the door. As I read, the next article tells in detail of the bomb blast that took place at the railway station thats just across the road to my room, few hundred meters away. I did hear a thud yesterday afternoon, but that was it. I felt that I have started imagining things, and tried to forget it.

Well, whatever the paper reads, it all happened in a different world. A world that has become alien to me in these past two days.

The world has frozen, except, that it still flows in the black printed lines of the newspaper.

I have been trying hard to listen, with my ears pressed against the brick walls of my room, but there is not a single hint of the movement of the world, and the only sound that i can hear through the thick walls is the cowing of ducks in the backyard garden pond.

Now, it feels like those split seconds which appears to be oblivion; when you look for the first time into the eyes of your lover and everything comes to a stop, and it feels like you are dead; like, when you fall from an aeroplane which has just crashed, and you know for sure that you are going to die after hitting the ground, and still you look down as death stares into your eyes. I felt like that. The rope with a noose hung from ceiling fan. There was a letter under the paperweight with circular post stamps, and it took ten days to reach me. There rests a chair under the ceiling fan.

Still something was missing.

I tried hard to find that out. The smiling rope hung, inviting with its wide open mouth, and I wanted to greet it with a similar smile, with a free mind. But something was missing....and it's becoming hard for me to stop myself from fusion with noose. Is it the music? Music that accompanies every ceremony. Music that gives every event a ceremonial touch, and makes that event a history thats remembered.

There was no music! There was no ticking of clock!

The table clock. Yes that is it! The ticking of the watch that ticks louder in such moments was missing.

The battery died down weeks ago. And so did time. I should listen to the music of watch, its ticking, which it plays in these last seconds, when u know for sure that u r going to die.

I must go and buy a pair of new batteries today evening. And I will. Let me step out of the room and walk into the directions of the newspaper lines. The way the newspaper lines flows.. wherever it goes.

The End.

------
Comments and Suggestions invited..

6 Comments:

Blogger Chittz said...

coool... Interesting.. what kept me wondering all the while was y in the world was the protagnist confined to his room, and contemplating ending his life? but fascinating never the less.... let me know if ure planning to continue this.. my curiosity has been piqued...

8:16 AM  
Blogger prem said...

I was aware that this question might arise...and its good that u did it.

I added these sentences, 'The rope with a noose hung from ceiling fan. There was a letter under the paperweight with circular post stamps, and it took ten days to reach me. There rests a chair under the ceiling fan.'

The LETTER took ten days to reach the protagonist, and it contains some news which has promted him to take his life. I did had this doubt of whether that single line is enough to tell the readers why he is taking life...

Do u think I need to add few more details there to give de reasons??

8:32 AM  
Blogger prem said...

I jotted it down one sunday morning, when I was feeling very lonely. Since then it has been lying in as draft. So though of giving it some uplifts and made the post....havent though anything about continuing it...untill I get some good plot that fits this mood..
thanx for comments! :)

8:46 AM  
Blogger pushkalAn& pattabhiraman said...

nice one prem.. well.. when a person is able to apprciate the music in the ticking of a clock...there..isnt it obvious that he has started relising the beauty in life.... give Him sme time.. let the noose wait!

PS: u forgot to add few more in the last line... it could have been ....

Comments,Suggestions, Eggs and brickbats invited.. lolz!!

cheers
suha!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Raj said...

The ending was smashing. Somehow inconclusive ends tickle me in a good way. But Prem bhai... why use, "u r"? The story was excellent so that really didn't matter- but even then... you know...for the traditional folk.

Read a couple other posts too. The poem "Time to fly" and the short post... about the memory washed by time... and ofcourse the first one on the page- all of them seem to be connected...you know how they are thread... I can guess, but a comments section is far too public eh?

7:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Huummmmmmmmm.........really so cool yar... infact awsome..you should start writing..keep it up :)

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Website Counter